Mill Stone commemorates the site of Bentley Heath Mill, which
opened in the late 1820s. It was a three storey building with
four sails built on the edge of the heath, where there was good
stood back and up from the road it gave a name to, the present
Mill Lane, previously known as Bentley Heath Road. The first miller
was called Richard Beach, but it passed into the ownership of
the Chamberlain family, who operated it for two generations.
first of these, William Chamberlain, added steam as an option
for powering the mill on windless days, the second, Thomas Chamberlain,
dispensed with wind and removed the sails, and subsequently moved
on to oil fuelled power. But on Thomas Chamberlain's death in
1927, the Mill closed and its assets were removed.
as housing encroached in the post war period, the Mill was demolished.
The single millstone now marks its site, amongst the houses of
Milton Close, Bentley Heath, now accessed from Widney Road or
Slater Road rather than Mill Lane.