to the records of the British Museum as place called 'Gnolla'
was a part of of the parish of Hampton-in-Arden in the early 1200s.
This name meant 'on top of higher ground'.
people of the growing community at Knowle found it difficult to
attend church in Hampton, particularly in winter when the Blythe
Valley was flooded, and so in 1402 Canon Walter Cook established
a further church in Knowle within the Hampton parish.
is a circular stone at the foot of the chance steps, which is
believed to mark the resting place of Walter Cook, founder of
the church and of Guild of St Anne, which had it headquarters
at the adjacent Guild House. It was the success of this Guild
that resulted in the need to expand the church a mere decade after
it was first consecrated.
1850 Knowle finally broke free from Hampton-in-Arden, becoming
a parish in its own right. Shortly afterwards an interior restoration
of the church was undertaken, but some features, including the
font, remain original. A wooden screen at the eastern end of the
nave is a fine specimen of late 15th century craftsmanship. Although
the pulpit dates from 1929, it houses an hourglass believed to
date from from the 17th century.
floor of the chancel was raised at one time to permit procession
around the church by passing underneath the eastern end, then
adjacent to another property. However, this put the church at
subsequent structural risk and so this underground passage was
filled in again and the floor lowered again a couple of centuries
later. This, however, left some stone seats in the southern wall
'high and dry' and out of reach.
1921, a chapel in the north transept became a memorial to those
Knowle citizens who lost their lives in the First World War, and
is now known as the Soldiers' Chapel.